Sunday, March 27, 2011

Sometimes, you camp just to inform future decisions about camping




We went to the coast this weekend to go camping with some friends. The forecast was rainy, but I was optimistic that everything would still be fine. We had a back up plan of sleeping in the car, but set up the tent as it was sunny when we arrived. We took a little hike to a look out that is the first picture--it was beautiful. Theo was dressed like the little brother from the Christmas Story to stay warm, and even a slight drizzle couldn't dampen the deliciousness of my fire roasted hot dog. The people there, the s'more I ate while lying in the tent feeding Theo to sleep, the constant sound of the waves, having 3G coverage so I could find out that I have a HUGE chance of winning my family March Madness bracket--all great things. Theo even slept well and had a great first camping experience. Things just went downhill after we went to bed.  Some raccoons came to the site, which was no big deal but freaked me out a little. (You have to remember when I am camping, at night every bit of my rational thinking disappears.) Then the wind started blowing (and tons of rain), shaking our tent, but I thought it was a bear, so I kept waking Jon up urgently thinking we were under attack. He even got sucked in, sitting up suddenly, issuing a stern "KA-HISS!" I found out that "ka-hiss" is Jon's go-to defensive noise. Good to know in case we ever do confront a bear, in which I will know that our doom is certain. But if a stray cat is around? We're all good. Needless to say, I didn't sleep much, but the rain stopped long enough in the morning to pack the soggy tent away. Then we went home, skipping our church beach clean up activity as I was afraid of Theo losing a few toes due to cold. I took a delirious 2.5 hour nap and woke up with a fever, my slight cold likely worsened by stress and lack of sleep. I think my jaw is still sore from clenching my teeth all night long.

But don't get me wrong, I don't want to sound all complain-y because there is always a bit of adventure and good storytelling resulting from things not going as planned. I just want to warn my future self--if there is a threat of rain, just sleep in the car, Malorie. Sleep in the car.

8 comments:

kenzie said...

oh mal, we are twins. made me laugh so hard. I don't know why we can't have rational thoughts late at night, it just goes to crazytown in my mind.

vanessa said...

ooh, sounds chilly. i love to camp but sometimes the waking up is brutal. glad you'll be pampered this week at a hotel!

Stevenson and Marissa's Blog said...

Oh man! Sorry it was wet and cold, although Theo does look cute and plump. A lot of work, but maybe the hot dog and s'more were worth it??

Unknown said...

Oh please. That was the night of your life! :) ha. Glad you guys came and am proud of your semi positive attitude. Next time we should go ahead and plan a camp trip in the summer.

James said...

i would recommend one of these: http://www.tabme.de/de/modelle/tb-l/ or these: http://airstreamlife.com/maze/files/2010/04/ardean-miller-3.jpg, http://airstreamlife.com/maze/files/2010/04/ardean-miller-8.jpg

or for more hard core: http://www.sportsmobile.com/4_4x4sports.html or http://squob.com/expedition_vehicles/unicat-dont-mention-the-garbage-truck/

no bears, no rain, no cold nights. you won't regret it!!

Malorie said...

James, we want a teardrop trailer so bad!! sigh. Anything bear proof is a plus.

jennifer hall said...

We never did the camping in tents as a family so Jonathan only got experience from scouts and young adult life. I love your good sportsmanship attitude and willingness to try--that is more than I have. My fear of freezing to death takes over and clastrophobia in the tent and I would move to the car. I guess I am saying please don;t ever invite me to camp with you all! Loved reading about it!
mama hall

h said...

I think I once backpacked, just to make sure I would be capable of backpacking in the future. It turns out that I am, despite the blisters and tremendous back pain, heh.

Good luck!